Managing Visitors and Volunteers in Natural Areas
Presented in a hybrid format (a combination of online and in-person training), this workshop will provide guidance on how to integrate visitors and volunteers into natural areas management.
Online: 9 March - 1 May 2015
In-person: 6 May 2015, Gold Head Branch State Park, Keystone Heights FL
In this workshop, participants will:
- Learn to effectively and appropriately plan recreation opportunities (trails, facilities, etc.) for visitor use
- Apply knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines to develop new facilities and evaluate existing ones
- Create effective and informative interpretation for visitors
- Develop an understanding of benefits and challenges of managing a volunteer program
- Learn about the types of trainings and legal issues required for a volunteer program
- Learn how to recruit volunteers and the important elements of volunteer job descriptions
- Online: To be completed at your own pace anytime between 9 March - 1 May 2015.
- In–person: One-day in-person training on 6 May 2015 at Gold Head Branch State Park, Keystone Heights, FL
- Registration: $225 (does not include lodging)
- Food: Coffee, water, snacks, and lunch will be provided by NATA during the day of the in-person training. Workshop participants will be responsible for any other meals.
- Optional Lodging: $45/person/night at Gold Head Branch State Park (2 people per cabin; NATA will make reservations and match roommates).
Please note there is no internet access at the park. If you prefer to secure your own lodging we recommend the Waldo Inn & Suites in Waldo, FL.
- Group registration: rates are available for a single agency registering multiple participants. Please contact the workshop coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details
Optional events at GHBSP on 5 May 2015:
- Free interpretive hike: 2:00 - 4:00 PM, led by park staff, covering the history and structure of GHBSP
- Evening dinner and campfire social: 6:00 - ? PM
Registration closes 6 March 2015
Cancellation requests are subject to a $50 fee;
no refunds will be offered after registration closes
Copyright © 2014 Natural Areas Training Academy, All rights reserved.
Natural Areas Training Academy
155 Research Road
Quincy, FL 32351