WORK TYPE:Faculty Full-Time
CATEGORIES:Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
DEPARTMENT:60353049 - AG-OSCEOLA
Extension Agent I
The University of Florida/IFAS and Osceola County seek to fill an entry-level, full-time, permanent status accruing Natural Resources Extension Agent position. The agent will lead, teach, and manage the county's natural resources extension education program that will cover water conservation, water quality protection, sustainable development (including tourism and nature-based recreation), local ecosystems, wildlife, and urban forestry.
The successful candidate will:
- Assume overall leadership for planning, developing, organizing, coordinating, implementing, teaching, and evaluating educational programs within the designated areas of expertise and in support of local needs and statewide extension initiatives.
- Recruit, maintain, and utilize the input and support of an active Extension Advisory Committee for subject matter program determination, implementation, and assessment.
- Develop and manage an effective volunteer system, including but not limited to identifying, recruiting, training, supporting, and recognizing volunteers to maximize program outreach.
- Provide educational programs to manage the coexistence of wildlife on agricultural, residential, and urban landscapes.
- Educate clientele about invasive species in natural areas and aquatic ecosystems.
- Plan and implement the Florida Master Naturalist Program in Osceola County under the guidance of the statewide program.
- Promote ecotourism, agritourism, and nature-based recreation and economic opportunities on public and private lands.
- Collaborate with other extension personnel, media, other county departments, community agencies, and other local groups to enhance educational outreach and program marketing.
- Develop annual personal Plan of Work and Report of Accomplishments and other required reporting on a regular and timely basis.
- Seek, obtain, and manage in-kind funding and other grant funds to enhance programmatic efforts.
- Work with diverse audiences following all Affirmative Action guidelines.
- Effectively work as a member of the extension team and contribute to statewide extension programming in support of the Extension Roadmap.
- Maintain a favorable image of IFAS Extension in the community.
- Be actively involved in Osceola County community life.
- Follow all University of Florida, IFAS, and Osceola County policies and procedures.
- Participate in professional organizations appropriate for this position.
- Contribute at least 5% of effort to work with the local 4-H Youth Development Agent, youth, and volunteers in planning, teaching, evaluating and reporting on youth development programming in subject matter areas of expertise.
- Work closely with Osceola County government, the County Extension Director, and the Central District Extension Director and assume other duties assigned by them.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date.
FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY: Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Commensurate with Education and Experience.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources, forestry, environmental science, ecology, sustainability, or a related field is required. The selected candidate will be expected to make at least 50% progress towards obtaining a master’s degree within 6 years of employment. Demonstrated abilities in organizational skills and written/oral communication are necessary.
The selected candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License and must be flexible and willing to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, with occasional overnight travel.
Experience in teaching, writing, and developing educational programs is a plus.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Apply through the online UF application system at http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/503152 , and attach your Resume or CV, as well as a cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position. Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date.
TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
You must submit unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees. You may attach these as an "other" document, or you may submit to our office as directed below. An unofficial copy is acceptable for the application process, but before you can be hired, IFAS Human Resources must have the official transcript for your highest degree on file.
Also, all applicants must have at least three reference rating forms on file. Reference forms must be less than one year old. If you have not already done so, please contact your professional/academic references and ask that they complete a reference rating form on your behalf. The form is located at http://personnel.ifas.ufl.edu/ref_form.pdf .
Please also complete and submit the Previous Employment Form (located at http://personnel.ifas.ufl.edu/prev_employment.pdf ).
With the exception of official transcripts, all items submitted by mail must be postmarked no later than the next business day after the position closing date. All documents submitted by fax or email must be received no later than the next business day. If your official transcripts will arrive after the closing date, you must also submit unofficial transcripts by the deadline.
Requested reference forms and transcripts should be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered "official" if a designation of "Issued to Student" is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/ .
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The selection process will be conducted in accord with the provisions of Florida's 'Government in the Sunshine' and Public Records Laws. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.