The City of Gainesville's Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department is seeking a Habitat Naturalist to join our natural resource management team, playing an integral role in managing the City’s nature parks.
As a HABITAT NATURALIST, your work will involve:
- Mapping and analyzing park resources and amenities using GIS, and collecting and maintaining GPS data.
- Planning, overseeing, and/or participating in invasive plant removal.
- Writing and reviewing park management plans and other related reports.
- Planning, coordinating, and/or participating in prescribed fire.
- Conducting natural resource monitoring, including plant and animal surveys, plant transect layout, data collection and analysis, and map production.
- Planning and facilitating installation of nature trails, firebreaks, and other improvements at nature parks and ensuring that such activities have minimal impacts on natural resources.
To be considered for this position you must have:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in forestry, wildlife management, ecology, or related subject, and two (2) years of experience in natural resource management;
- An associate’s degree with major coursework in forestry, wildlife management, ecology, or related subject and four (4) years of experience in natural resource management.
- Prescribed Burn Manager Certification is required within one year of appointment.
- Completion of S-130 Firefighter Training and S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior is required upon appointment.
- Florida Pesticide Applicator’s License required within 6 months of hire.
- Valid Florida driver’s license required upon appointment and at all times while employed in this position. If current driver’s license is from another state, must obtain a valid Florida driver’s license within 30 days of appointment.
The application period for this position closes at 11:59 PM October 1st. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/gainesville/jobs/1843455/habitat-naturalist-prca?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs