Requisition No: 31940
Agency: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Working Title: FISHERIES & WILDLIFE BIO SCIENTIST II - 77072810
Position Number: 77072810
Salary: $1,234.18 bi-weekly
Posting Closing Date: 03/30/2018
Position number: 77072810
Address: 5285 N. Kenansville Road St. Cloud, FL 34773
Supervisor: Biological Scientist III
Description of duties:
Conducts planning, developing, and implementing of wildlife management programs on the Triple N Ranch and Bull Creek/Herky Huffman WMAs, in addition to assisting other area biologists on WMAs within the Northeast Region.
* Responsible for recommending and implementing habitat management practices.
* Assists with prescribed burning, ground cover restoration, mechanical and chemical vegetation treatments, wildlife plantings, and other projects.
* Conducts population surveys of game, non-game, and threatened and endangered wildlife species using scientifically accepted techniques.
* Surveys habitat types and monitors changes that take place in these vegetative communities.
* Coordinates public hunting and other recreational activities on assigned areas.
* Plans, develops and maintains projects to facilitate public use including road and trail construction and maintenance, establishment of parking areas, culvert installation, and construction and maintenance of boundary and interior fences and gates.
* Assists with the development of bid specifications, contract development and oversight, and monitoring vendor compliance.
* Assists with annual work plans, budget proposals, accomplishment reports and other administrative tasks.
* Provides supervisor with information, recommendations and justification for regulations governing public use on the WMAs.
* Provides technical assistance to individuals, organizations and other agencies regarding wildlife biology and wildlife habitat management.
* Participates in seminars, workshops and public outreach relating to wildlife resource management.
* Supervises volunteers and check station operators.
A. Administrative and Management Planning: Provides assistance in the preparation of long-range plans (conceptual management plans), operational plans (annual work plans), quarterly and annual progress reports and other administrative documents providing guidelines for multiple-use management.
B. Public Use and Management Regulations: Provides supervisory personnel with information, recommendations and justification for regulations governing public use.
C. Management Practices: Assists with the application of various wildlife habitat management practices including prescribed burning, mowing and chopping, development of dove fields and installation of non-invasive annual food plots.
D. Wildlife and Vegetation Surveys: Conducts population surveys of game, nongame, threatened and endangered wildlife species using scientifically accepted techniques. Surveys habitat types and monitors changes which take place in these vegetative communities.
E. Development, Maintenance, Supervision: Plans, develops, and maintains projects to facilitate public use including road construction, establishment of parking areas, culvert installation, and construction and maintenance of boundary and interior fences and gates. Maintains existing buildings and construction of new facilities and utilities. Performs minor repairs, such as maintenance to boat ramps, parking lots, roads, buildings, water control structures or submits specifications for contracting for needed extensive maintenance. Supervises OPS check station operators and directs community service assignees and volunteers.
F. Recreational Activities: Assists lead biologist with preparation of detailed regulations governing recreational activities on the area. Conducts standard necropsy and collects biological data from hunter-harvested animals. Analyzes and reports data to direct future management decisions.
G. Maintenance of Assigned Equipment: Maintains equipment in a clean, safe and usable condition. Follows manufacturer's recommendations for periodic maintenance.
Broadband code: 19-1023-02
Class code: 5028
Title: Fisheries and Wildlife Biological Scientist II
Working hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday.
List of any subordinates supervised: None
Residency requirement: Within a 25 mile radius of the entrance to Bull Creek or Triple N Ranch WMA.
Level of Education: Bachelors Degree
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwMzEzLjg2ODY5NzMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDMxMy44Njg2OTczMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjU2MDk0JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&101&&&http://www.dms.myflorida.com/content/download/97612/566545?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=>. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Orlando
Apply now »<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwMzEzLjg2ODY5NzMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDMxMy44Njg2OTczMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjU2MDk0JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&102&&&https://jobs.myflorida.com/talentcommunity/apply/464254400/?locale=en_US&utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=>
Requisition No: 31940