Employer: Audubon Florida/National Audubon Society
Position: Anchor Steward, Nassau
Location: Nassau County, FL
APPLY ONLINE ONLY AT:
Audubon Florida supports management of beach-nesting birds at many locations on the Gulf Coast and Northeast Atlantic Coast of Florida by surveying, posting, stewarding and protecting nesting areas from disturbance. To better monitor and protect the nesting shorebirds along beaches and other nest sites Audubon is hiring a seasonal Beach Anchor Steward to work primarily within Nassau County. The chief responsibilities of the Anchor Steward are to conduct public outreach on shore/seabird nesting beaches in Nassau County and to organize volunteers to assist with these efforts.
This is a part-time, 20 hour per week seasonal position focused on weekend days and holidays, including Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day, if nesting persists until the latter holiday. The position will begin 04/02/2018 and continue through the end of nesting season. Nesting may persist into August or early September but can end early in the event of a catastrophic event or other total loss of nesting activity.
Under the direction of Audubon’s Northeast Florida Policy Associate, the Nassau County Anchor Steward will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Assist with the installation of symbolic fencing (PVC posts and string) around new nest areas as needed.
- Conduct public outreach at nesting beaches primarily on weekends and holidays, hours dependent on nesting conditions and pattern of use by the public.
- Assist with recruiting volunteers; train and schedule volunteers to chaperone nesting birds and conduct public outreach at nesting beaches on weekends and holidays.
- Work closely with local land managers, external partners, and volunteers in a positive and professional manner at all times.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to recruit, train, support, and schedule volunteers.
- Work well independently and with other staff and volunteers.
- A positive and diplomatic attitude is a must; strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Demonstrated capability of physically active work walking on sandy beaches carrying field equipment during Florida summer field conditions. Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver's license and a personal vehicle suited for transportation to complete assigned tasks.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Familiarity with local beaches preferred.
- Previous experience with monitoring and stewardship for one shore/seabird nesting season strongly preferred, but similar experience will be considered.
- Interest in conservation and passion for the mission of the National Audubon Society a must.