Requisition No: 33323
Agency: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC)
Working Title: OPS FISHERIES & WILDLIFE BIOLOGICAL SCIENTIST II - 77900909
Position Number: 77900909
Salary: $16 / hour
Posting Closing Date: 04/20/2018
In addition to submitting an electronic State of Florida employment application and completing the qualifying questions, please attach a cover letter. This letter should at minimum explain your interest in the specific organization and position and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.
This position is for a GIS/database analyst with the manatee program within the Marine Mammal Section of the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute (FWRI). The successful candidate will be responsible for entering and verifying tabular and spatial data; assisting with the creation, maintenance, quality assurance and quality control of multiple databases; developing cartographic products and tabular data summaries for use in publications, reports, presentations, and for field research and management purposes; assisting with metadata documentation and data archive; locating, retrieving, and compiling biological and environmental data; participating in public outreach; providing technical and analytical support to section staff through use of geographic information systems (GIS), relational databases, programming languages, and other technical tools; and other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in one of the physical or biological sciences, computer science, or geographical information systems (GIS), and one year of professional biological experience in a field or laboratory program; or a master's degree from an accredited college or university in one of the biological sciences.
Coursework in GIS. Demonstrated experience with writing and/or using R or Python scripts to automate workflows. Demonstrated experience working with entering, verifying, and querying data from Access and SQL geodatabases. Experience in the collection, quality-control, and management of spatially-referenced data. Demonstrated experience working with ArcGIS software.
Knowledge, Skill(s), and Abilities
- Knowledge of GIS, relational databases, and data management principles
- Skilled at using a personal computer, preferably including experience using Microsoft Excel, Access, SQL, and ArcGIS 9.x or 10.x.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to plan and organize work assignments with minimal supervision. Qualified applicants will need to be organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and adept at problem-solving and time management to succeed in the position.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Florida Driver's License
Where To Apply
Applicants are required to apply through People First by the closing date listed. Resumes and supporting documentation may be submitted at the same time of application online.
If you experience technical difficulties during the application process or when attaching documents, call People First staffing at 1-877-562-7287.
Answers to screening questions regarding experience must be indicated in the work history of the State of Florida application form.
WHAT IS OPS EMPLOYMENT? Other Personal Services (OPS) employment is a temporary employer/employee relationship used solely for accomplishing short term or intermittent tasks. OPS employees do not fill established positions and may not be assigned the duties of any vacant authorized position. OPS employees are at-will employees and are subject to actions such as pay changes, changes to work assignment, and terminations at the pleasure of the agency head or designee.
WHAT BENEFITS ARE APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
- State of Florida 401(a) FICA Alternative Plan - mandatory
- Workers’ Compensation - mandatory
- Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Compensation) - mandatory
- Participation in state group insurance (must meet eligibility requirements. Consult with People First or the servicing Human Resource Office to determine eligibility.)
- Deferred Compensation - voluntary
- Employee Assistance Program – voluntary
WHAT BENEFITS ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
- Any form of paid leave
- Paid holidays
- Participation in the Florida Retirement System
- Reinstatement rights or retention rights
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Nearest Major Market: Tampa