Land Management Specialist
Full Time-RegularLAKE APOPKA, Mount Dora, FL, US
9 days agoRequisition ID: 1188APPLY
Land Management Specialist
Bureau of Land Resources
This is professional work assisting in the development, implementation and management of SJRWMD's land management programs.
Job duties include:
· Monitors natural communities for management needs and effects of management activities; assists in the development and implementation of the Area Management Plans by providing firsthand knowledge of properties and ground investigations; ensures proper implementation of restoration projects, forestry operations, and other activities through supervision of contractors, volunteers, and direct participation; create scopes of work and manages various Land Management related contracts. Assists in the support and development of Land Management Database.
· Participates in controlled burning activities for natural resource enhancement, restoration, and fuel reduction. Develops plans, prescriptions, and resource needs related to fire control. Participates in fire suppression activities. Supervise and participate in establishment and maintenance of fire lines. Coordinates fire activities with coworkers, neighbors, and other agencies. Monitors short and long-term effects of fire management and helps support fire management database.
· Coordinates with other agencies and local governments on development and implementation of land management agreements; encourages public support for the land management program by: supervising the installation of public access points and facilities, and managing their use; responding to public inquiries; supervising public use; conducting tours; making presentations; and attending meetings, assists with all facets of management of the Lake Apopka wildlife drive and loop trail.
· Protects District lands and facilities by assisting in the development of security plans, observing and reporting activities such as vandalism, poaching and wildfires, and maintaining good relations with local law enforcement personnel.
· Assist with monitoring, mapping, banding, and general management of listed bird species. Provide knowledge and assist in the management and monitoring of other listed as well as non-listed flora and fauna. Participate in bird surveys as necessary.
· Assists the coordination of the land management program with other departments, agencies and lessees by assisting in the formulation of agreements and licenses, managing leases, ensuring compliance with agreements and licenses, and maintaining contracts with cooperators and lessees.
A bachelor of science degree from an accredited college or university with a major in forestry, ecology, natural resources, wildlife management, natural science or related field; or an associate degree from an accredited college in biology, forest technology or related natural resource field and two years of natural resource management experience.
SJRWMD has determined this to be a mandatory-testing position as described in Section 440.102, Florida Statutes. Any offer of employment for a mandatory-testing position will be contingent upon successful passing a drug screening paid by SJRWMD. The SJRWMD Drug Free Workplace Policy is available for review in the Careers section at www.sjrwmd.comOpens a New Window..
Base Salary: $39,894.40
Benefits include Florida Retirement System, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, paid leave and holidays, professional development and wellness program.
Your application will receive careful consideration and, if selected for an interview, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment. St. Johns River Water Management District participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an internet based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the Unites States.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Veterans’ Preference/Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace
Location: Apopka Field Station
Closing Date: August 23, 2019