S130/190 Basic Wildland Firefighter Training
PRESENTED IN A HYBRID FORMAT
Online: March 2 - 15, 2015
In-person: March 17 - 20, 2015
Waccasassa Forestry Center, Gainesville FL
Ordway-Swisher Biological Station, Melrose FL
$125 - General Registration
$100 - Student Registration
This course is designed to provide entry level firefighter skills. Participants will receive NWCG certificates for S130, S190, and L180.
Course topics include:
- Proper tactics to extinguish fire with or without the use of water
- Why lookouts, communications, escape routes, and safety zones are important
- The primary factors affecting the start and spread of wildfire
- How to recognize potentially hazardous situations
- Environmental factors of fuels, weather, and topography that affect the spread of wildland fire
Online trainings: Prior to the in-person training, participants must complete both the FEMA IS-100 course online (2-4 hours of training; must bring proof of completion on 3/17/15) AND the online S190 course (6-8 hours of training, link provided after registration closes; test to be taken on first day of in-person training).
Schedule: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday will consist of classroom instruction at the Waccasassa Forestry Center in Gainesville; Thursday will be an all-day field exercise at Ordway-Swisher Biological Station. The self-paced S190 course will be available online from 3/2 - 3/15/15.
Registration closes March 6, 2015
Cancellation requests are subject to a $50 fee;
no refunds will be offered after registration closes