The City of Gainesville is seeking a Nature Assistant to join the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs department’s natural resource management team, playing an integral role in managing the City’s nature parks.
As a Nature Assistant, you will:
· Conduct regular park inspections and maintenance of trails and facilities
· Control invasive non-native plants using herbicides or manual removal
· Participate in prescribed fire
· Implement monitoring of wildlife and vegetation
To be considered you'll need the following:
· Graduation from high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma, supplemented by certifications or college level courses in ecology, wildlife management, natural resource management, park management, forestry, education, horticulture, or biology, or related field and one year experience in public contact work or natural resource management work in an outdoor setting.
· One (1) of the following may be used to substitute for up to one (1) year of the required experience:
o An Associate degree or higher with major coursework in environmental or natural science, education, recreation, biology, wildlife management or related subject
o or an Environmental Education Certification (or equivalent)
o or the Florida Master Naturalist Course and Basic Certification by the National Alliance for Interpretation (NAI) (or equivalent).
· Valid U.S. Driver’s License required upon appointment. Valid Florida Driver’s License required within 30 days of appointment and at all times while employed in this classification.
· Florida Public Pesticide Applicator License may be required within one year of appointment.
· American Red Cross certification (or equivalent) in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and First Aid certification is required within six months of appointment.
· Interagency Wildland Firefirghter Type II training (S-130, S-190, L-180) may be required within one year of appointment.
· May be Required to Complete an Assessment(s)
· May create eligibility list
· May fill multiple positions
Embracing change is the Gainesville way of life!
Come join our team as we shift the culture from "No to Yes", "from reactive to proactive," "from policy-oriented to services-oriented", and "from silos to teams".