Requisition No: 30630
Agency: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC)
Working Title: OPS ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST I - 77900742
Position Number: 77900742
Salary: $15.00 to $17.00 per hour
Posting Closing Date: 04/02/2018
DIVISION: Fish and Wildlife Research Institute (FWRI)
SECTION: Information Science & Management
SUB-SECTION: Center for Spatial Analysis
LOCATION: FWRI Headquarters, Saint Petersburg, FL
The person in this position will:
* Assist in the design, development, and implementation of geographic information systems (GIS) databases and applications related to upland, coastal and marine ecology.
* Assist in the design, development, and implementation of spatial analytical processes to support ecosystem management.
* Coordinate and participate in the identification, assessment, acquisition, and management of the spatial data required to support oil and other hazardous material response in the marine environment.
* Assist in preparing reports and manuscripts of GIS analyses and scientific research.
* Design, develop and maintain web sites and web-based mapping applications which support Marine Resources GIS or FWRI grant requirements.
* Create and manage GIS data and metadata for web-based mapping applications.
* Work across sections to develop innovative GIS applications with a habitat and ecosystem perspective.
* Coordinate and provide training, consultation, and design recommendations to end-users of GIS.
* Promote and participate in public outreach.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervised employees: None
It is requested that candidates submit a résumé through the PeopleFirst System (http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwMzE0Ljg2OTY3MTMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDMxNC44Njk2NzEzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjU2Njg5JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&102&&&http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=>) and attach at least the following:
* college or university transcript (unofficial transcripts will suffice), and
* if applicable, an example of your past programming work. Please include the background code and the end product.
Desired Minimum Requirements
* An Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Geography or Computer Sciences and knowledge of, classwork in, and experience with the Biological Sciences; and
* A working knowledge of GIS programming and web development using Java Script, CSS, and HTML5 programming languages.
Work at FWC is cross-functional meaning duties may cross division/office lines. The Commission expects employees to function across FWC’s organizational structure by providing their skills and expertise wherever needed through work on teams or as directed.
The Commission expects its employees to be courteous and respectful while assisting Commission customers and stakeholders, ensuring each encounter is as positive as possible. Employees should promptly resolve questions or problems relating to the Commission, its programs and/or fish and wildlife resources. Employees should seek to gain public support for agency objectives and programs by serving Florida’s citizens in a positive and proactive manner and by listening to what the customer wants and striving to meet their needs. When appropriate, employees will explain the reasons for agency actions or decisions while communicating a consistent FWC point-of-view.
Responsible for following the provisions and requirements in Section 215.422, Florida Statutes, related to the Department of Financial Services rules and FWC’s invoice processing and warrant distribution procedures.
Knowledge, Skill(s), and Abilities
The entry-level knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) needed to perform job duties are:
* Knowledge of terminology, principles and techniques used in Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
* Knowledge of GIS database and application design and development principles.
* Knowledge of cartographic design.
* Knowledge of methods of data collection.
* Knowledge of ESRI products.
* Knowledge of Google Earth and KMLs.
* Knowledge of Florida’s ecology.
* Ability to collect and record scientific GIS data.
* Ability to perform quantitative GIS analysis of scientific data using ESRI products.
* Ability and desire to learn basic scripting using languages such as Python.
* Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments.
* Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
* Ability to follow directions, work independently and utilize problem-solving techniques.
* Skill in developing and maintaining professional relationships with scientists and managers from other FWRI programs, as well as with partner agencies.
Where to Apply
Applicants are required to submit a complete, up-to-date, resume electronically in People First (http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwMzE0Ljg2OTY3MTMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDMxNC44Njk2NzEzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjU2Njg5JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&103&&&http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=>) by the closing date listed. Supporting documentation may be submitted at the same time you are applying online, faxed, or mailed to People First, but do not replace the requirement for a completed resume.
If you experience technical difficulties during the application process or when attaching documents, call People First staffing at 1-877-562-7287.
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Nearest Major Market: Tampa
Apply now »<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwMzE0Ljg2OTY3MTMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDMxNC44Njk2NzEzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjU2Njg5JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGFyYW1lLmZlcnJ5QG15ZndjLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&104&&&https://jobs.myflorida.com/talentcommunity/apply/463622600/?locale=en_US&utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=>
Requisition No: 30630