Description of Positions: The Southwest Florida Gulf Coast Refuge Complex is seeking two term Biological Science Aids (GS-0404-2) beginning on or before 21 January 2018. These are term appointments, and will terminate on or before 180 work days after the official start date. Primary duties will include biological surveys, inventories and other monitoring projects (40%); inventory and control of invasive plants and animals (25%); public outreach, data collection and data entry (25%); and miscellaneous refuge management activities such as lethal predator control, equipment maintenance, and trail clearing (10%). These positions offer selected persons the ability to gain a wide range of career building experience, while contributing to the critically needed management of two National Wildlife Refuges.
Biological Science Aids are expected to work 40 hours per week, with occasional weekend and nighttime work. Term employees will be required to operate and maintain kayaks, ATV’s, swamp buggies, outboard motorboats, and various motorized equipment. Completion of the Motorboat Operator Certification Course (MOCC) is required, and will be provided for these positions as needed.
Work will be performed in various office and outdoor environments. Utilization of GIS, GPS and various database management software will be required. The work performed involves regular and recurring exposure to extreme weather conditions (e.g., high heat and humidity), thick vegetative conditions, venomous snakes, poisonous plants, biting insects, and wild animals. Individuals must be willing and able to work independently without direct supervision, as well as in a diverse team setting. Biological Science Aids must be in good physical condition, able to swim, and able to hike one-way distances of up to 3 miles over rough terrain while carrying loads of 45 pounds or more.
Temporary quarters may be available on the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge, and are located at 12455 FL-29 South, Immokalee, FL 34142. Pay information for federal General Schedule employees can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/
When: The official start date for the positions will be on or before 21 January 2018.
Application and Selection: E-Mail cover letter, resume, transcript, and at least three references as a SINGLE DOCUMENT (.pdf preferred) on or before 2 November 2017 to contact person listed for this announcement. Please include “2018 Biological Science Aid” in the subject line of the email. We hope to conduct final candidate interviews and make tentative selections prior to 16 November 2017. Final hiring decisions are dependent upon Regional leadership approval, and the candidates’ successful completion of a background and/or security investigation.
1. Have proof of U.S. citizenship and possession of valid state issued driver’s license.
2. Passing of a background and/or security investigation.
3. Commit to a maximum of 180 work days.
4. Ability to lift up to 45 lbs to perform work, carrying packs and equipment.
5. Tolerant of heat, biting insects and the presence of venomous snakes in the field
6. Prior work experience and/or education in the biological sciences is preferred, especially with regards to wildlife telemetry, handling snakes, monitoring sea turtles, plant identification, and conducting various wildlife surveys.
7. Capable of performing lethal wildlife control activities to minimize sea turtle nest depredation.
8. Prior GPS and GIS experience.
9. Have personal transportation. No public transportation is available due to remote living and working conditions. Work vehicle is provided by USFWS for official Government use only.
10. Be comfortable sharing living quarters with a diversity of individuals.
11. Able to swim.
- Location:Immokalee, Florida, 34142, United States
- Job ID:37549354
- Posted:October 17, 2017
- Position Title:Biological Science Aids-NTE 180 days
- Company Name:USFWS-Southwest Florida Gulf Coast Refuges
- Specialty:Biological Diversity
- Occupation:Field Technician
- Entry Level:Yes
- Job Type:Temporary
- Job Duration:6-12 Months
- Required Travel:0-10%
- Salary:$11.48 - $12.53 (Hourly Wage)